14 of us gathered last week to discuss Rethinking School's Rethinking Sexism, Gender, and Sexuality. Our next meeting is Monday, August 1 at Giovanni's Room (12th and Pine Streets), from 6-8pm. All are welcome!
Our work focused on generating questions and topics for us to think about and explore for the next three weeks. Here's some of what we are considering as we move forward -
Meeting 2: August 1, 2016
Topic: Our Selves and Identities
- How can we help kids challenge masculinity norms?
- What resources can we look at outside of this book to support us as educators?
- Chapter 4
- Select articles from Chapter 5 (individual choice)
- Ch. 2 - Hello Kitty (p. 63)
- Ch. 1 - The New Misogyny (p. 17)
Meeting 3: August 8, 2016
Topic: Our School (Workplace) Culture
- How do we talk and write about our students?
- What’s distracting us from having a real conversation? (Bathrooms?)
- Ch. 2 - It’s OK to Be Neither (p. 56)
Meeting 4: August 15, 2016
Topic: Our Curriculum
- What are the similarities and differences between addressing these issues with younger and older students?
- What age-appropriate resources exist for teaching these topics to different children?
- How can we “queer” or “open up” resources that we already use to help students rethink what they’re learning?
- How do we address these topics as they relate to current events?
- How do we get kids more excited about women’s lib?
- Ch. 3 - Sex Talk on the Carpet (5th grade) (p. 130)
- Ch. 3 - A Midsummer Night’s Gender DIversity (p. 211)